Highlights of Ethiopia Tour
ETHIOPIA TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
Join other Solo Travellers on this unusual adventure through one of Africa’s most beautiful countries. Prepare to see a lot on this amazing 12-day Ethiopia tour. Start in the city of contrasts, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s capital, home to the impressive national museum and one of the largest open-air markets in the region. Continue to Bahir Dar for a boat ride on the stunning Lake Tana and a trip to the Blue Nile Falls. Spend a couple of nights with the gelada monkeys in the Simien Mountains where scenery and wildlife prevail. Visit the ruins of the ancient Kingdom of Aksum, once the most powerful state between the Eastern Roman Empire and Persia. Marvel at the magnificent cave churches of Gheralta, and finally, discover the monolithic rock-cut churches of Ethiopia’s holiest city, Lalibela. Get ready for a culture shock as you journey through this awe-inspiring country.
Price from: £1999.00
5 Oct 2017 – 17 Oct 2017
Day 1 – Arrive Addis Ababa
You will be met by your local tour guide at the hotel. In the afternoon you can visit the National Museum and Addis Merkato, a large open-air market. The first night of your Ethiopia tour will be spent in Addis Ababa.
Day 2 – Addis Ababa / Bahir Dar
After breakfast you will take a 40-minute flight to Bahir Dar. After checking in at the hotel you will take a boat ride on Lake Tana to see the beautiful island monasteries which include biblical wall paintings, crowns of different Ethiopian Kings, and ancient illuminated parchment books. In the afternoon you will be driven to the magnificent Blue Nile Falls. Overnight in Bahir Dar.
Day 3 – Bahir Dar / Gorgora / Gondar
Day 4 – Gondar / Simien Mountains
Day 5 – Simien Mountains
Today you will take a drive around the mountains, where you might come across the Gelada Monkeys, a Walia Ibex and the Ethiopian Wolf, as well as extraordinary views from the mountains. Overnight near Simien Mountains.
Day 6 – Simien Mountains / Aksum
After breakfast you will leave the stunning Simien Mountains via one of the most scenic routes in Ethiopia. You will stop to admire the Tekeze Gorge en route to Aksum, where you will spend the night.
Day 7 – Aksum
Today you will have a full day in UNESCO World Heritage listed Aksum, exploring its famous monolithic obelisks, the ruins of the Queen of Sheba’s Palace, King Kaleb’s Palace, the tombs of different Axumite Kings, and the church of St Mary of Zion. Overnight in Aksum.
Day 8 – Aksum / Mekele / Hawzen
After breakfast you will begin the journey to Mekele, stopping on the way to visit the 6th century Debre Damo Monastery and the ancient temple of Yeha. Continue the drive to Hawzen, where you will spend the night.
Day 9 – Hawzen / Gheralta Church
Day 10 – Hawzen / Lalibela
Day 11 – Lalibela
Day 12 – Lalibela / Depart Addis Ababa
Take a domestic flight from Lalibela back to Addis Ababa for international flights.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE ETHIOPIA TOUR
- Daily transportation in comfortable minibuses
- 11 nights at 3-star hotels, guest houses or lodges sharing a twin room with breakfast
- English-speaking guides
- Excursions and most entrance fees
- Domestic flights from ADD to BJR and LLI to ADD
- Up to six weeks before departure, a place can be reserved on the Ethiopia tour on payment of a deposit of £200.00, after this date it would be the full amount of the trip.
- Click the book now button and fill in the details and tick the box confirming you accept booking conditions.
- The outstanding balance is due 6 weeks before travel.
- Flights are not included in the cost of this trip and will need to be booked separately. Please do not book flights until we have given the go-ahead. Feel free to ask us if you need any help with booking.
- Please ensure you have checked visa requirements. Get in touch if you are unsure.
- Ensure you have purchased travel insurance, as this is mandatory for all trips.
Trip Type Discover
Group Size Maximum of 12
Physical Rating Moderate
Currency & Spending Money Ethiopian Birr / Spending £20 and upwards per day
Hosts A local guide will be your main point of contact throughout this trip.
Clothing The weather will be dry with temperatures in the mid-20’s so pack light clothes and comfortable shoes.
Health Always seek medical advice from your doctor or travel nurse before you travel, especially when travelling to Africa. We also advise carrying toilet paper and hand sanitiser with you as this is few and far between if you’re away from the hotel for a day.
Single Supplement £440